Want to know The Truth About CPM?

14 June 2015

KScope 15 -- the Planning sessions I want to attend

Oh dear!  Oh dear!  I shall be too late!

Late, late, late, that’s what I am.  Why?  Cos I have been busy, busy, busy with both my presentations (ugh, procrastination is its own punishment) and because Developing Essbase Applications:  Hybrid Techniques and Practices is in its final proof step.  Want to read a 464 (57 more pages than the last) page deeply technical book in a week?  I’m doing it.  I think I get to sleep sometimes, but not all that much.  

The presentations you will be able to hear and quite possibly jeer in just over a week, the book now has an Official Release Date of 15 October 2015.  You’ll have to wait on the jeering (at least at my chapter)  until that oh happy day.  I am working, still, on the presentations although happily only the last bit of polishing.  With luck the anxiety dreams about the conference will at that point end.  I can but hope.  Note to self – would you please never, ever, ever, ever, ever procrastinate again?  Please?  Stay tuned to this blog approximately 365 days from now to see if I listened to my whining.

So off to Planning, finally

I like to say that while I lurv Essbase, and practice it as much as I can, I bought my house (And my bank account, and car, funded a at-this-point theoretical retirement plan that does not involve me dumpster diving for food, as well as a seemingly-ever-expanding-and-OMG-expensive collection of hiking and camping gear.  Apple Watch?  Piffle, try Suunto.  Get lost like me?  Then you’ll want a DeLorme inReach Explorer Satellite Messenger.  I’m still working on convincing myself that I need one of those for those times I apparently lose the ability to read a compass, so long as I get a new pair of boots.  It ain’t a hobby obsession till you go broke feeding it.)  In other words, Planning has been very, very good to me and I know which side my bread is buttered.

And with my bank account’s future in mind and also because I find torturing the life out of implementing creative solutions with Planning to be pretty interesting, here are the sessions I’m going to try to attend.

Monday, 23 June 2015

Gain Hands-On Experience with Oracle's Fastest-Growing Product: Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service

Matthew Forrester , Peloton
When: Jun 23, 2015, HOT- EPM 4, 8:30 am - 10:45 am
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Other Planning
Cloud, cloud, cloud.  Did I mention cloud?  It’s the future, and if you want to have one, it behooves you to attend this session.

No more unknown members! Smart data load validation for Hyperion Planning using ODI

Ricardo Giampaoli , TeraCorp
Co-presenter(s): Rodrigo Radtke de Souza, Dell
When: Jun 22, 2015, Session 3, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Optimization
Data quality.  Do you practice it?  Handle renegade data?  Rely on that accursed dataload.err?  I have a feeling R&R aka the Crazy Brazilians (They actually aren’t in the least, it’s just that I cannot tell Rodrigo from Ricardo and vice versa, hence the moniker.  Also, I am an idiot.) are going to bring a very innovative approach to this which will remind me why I am just an ODI dilettante..

Planning Panel

Chris Rothermel , Rothermel Consulting LLC
When: Jun 22, 2015, Session 3, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Other Planning
Chris is the ODI geek brave enough to take on Oracle Product Management and win and retain the Planning KMs in 11.1.2.4 and beyond.  How could this not be interesting?

Redesigning Hyperion Planning BSO to Hyperion Planning ASO

Cindy Eichner , Finit Solutions
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 5, 8:30 am - 9:30 am
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Emerging Technologies
Tim German and I presented fairly exhaustively on this last year and given the limitations we found (along with ASO’s power) I have to wonder what the use case for ASO is, particularly in the light of Hybrid which does just about everything ASO does.  Actually, within Planning it can be argued Hybrid is a better fit, so I am really curious what the argument for ASO Planning is at this point.

Tuesday, 24 June 2015

Voiding Your Warranty: The Planning Repository Exposed

Brian Marshall , US-Analytics
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 7, 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Optimization
I have to say I am intrigued by this as I have written a ton of queries against the Planning repositories.  That isn’t to say that I’ve exhausted that vein so I am curious to see what Brian has come up with.

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Assessing Your Hyperion Planning Application

Tracy McMullen , interRel Consulting
When: Jun 23, 2015, Session 9, 3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Optimization
I’ve recently started doing assessments.  I wonder if Tracy looks at the same things I do.

Wednesday, 24 June 2015

What's New and Coming in Calculation Manager

Mark Rinaldi , Oracle Corporation
Co-presenter(s): Sreekumar Menon, Oracle Corporation
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 12, 9:45 am - 10:45 am
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Other Planning
As I note in Celvin’s session, the Calc Man team are doing all kinds of really cool and innovative things.  Calc Man is definitely the future.  Dear Oracle, so long as I can continue to write code, I will be your biggest fan.

Oracle's Hyperion Planning & Strategic Finance: What's New and What's Coming

Shankar Viswanathan , Oracle Corporation
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 12, 9:45 am - 10:45 am
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Other Planning
As noted, given that I largely making a living on Planning, I would be more-than-usually insane not to attend this. 

Cf. my point above about How Can I Use the New CDF Functions in Calc Manager?

Celvin Kattookaran , Huron Consulting Group
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 14, 1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Design
Celvin, my younger but definitely smarter brother from a completely different set of parents, and I seem to be in a race to see who can identify Calc Man CDFs.  The Calc Man team are seemingly tireless in this and are expanding Planning, and btw, Essbase with all sorts of cool stuff.  And oh yes, Celvin seems to be winning the race.

What's New and Coming in Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service

Shankar Viswanathan , Oracle Corporation
Co-presenter(s): Marc Seewald, Oracle
When: Jun 24, 2015, Session 14, 1:45 pm - 2:45 pm
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Emerging Technologies
Cloud, cloud, cloud and Planning.  Now if I could just afford the monthly partner tariff….

Thursday, 25 June 2015

Thursday Deep Dive: Planning

Shankar Viswanathan , Oracle Corporation
Co-presenter(s): Prasad Kulkarni, Oracle Corporation
When: Jun 25, 2015, Deep Dive Session , 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Other Planning
I moderated this last year and thought it was excellent.  Having said that, I note Shankar is running this himself this year, so perhaps it was not as excellent as I thought.

Planning 11.1.2.4 Hands On Tour

Rudy Zucca , 123OLAP
When: Jun 25, 2015, HOT- EPM 10, 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Topic: Planning - Subtopic: Other Planning
Rudy is a gifted instructor; his firm is my standard recommendation to clients when it comes to training.  ‘Nuff said.

That ought to be enough Planning for one conference

As I noted in my Essbase Kscope15 post, I’m not going to make most of these, no matter how I try.  This is frustrating as I want to attend every possible session.  Happily I will be able to download and watch the sessions post the conference.  Did you know that there will be limited livecasting as well?  Alas, no Planning, but at least there’s HFM on offer.

Now I’m off to finish those presentations…

Be seeing you.

No comments: