Want to know The Truth About CPM?

05 February 2012

Two interesting and free EPM bits o' info

Two (mostly) free things you should know

So long HTML, hello ADF

I’ll take it straight from the https://supporthtml.oracle.com web site:

In case you can’t read that:   

The new Oracle ADF-based UI has replaced the HTML version and will eventually replace the Flash version of My Oracle Support. After logging in, please refer to document 1385682.1 for more information.


All I can say is that it’s really, really fast.  I will not miss the Flash version at all.  Support just keeps on getting better and better.

So you want to play with Planning 11.1.2.1 but you too are an infrastructure idiot?

Hmm, perhaps that is too strong of a description for you but it is oh so apt for me.  I am good at some things (a vanishingly small number of them but such is life) and am bad a tremendously large number of them.  In the EPM world, I am afraid that infrastructure is my very worst subject.  Sigh.  

So we (and especially me) are all lucky that John Booth has provided us with a test Amazon Web Services Amazon Machine Instance.  Check it out here on John’s blog.  I like to think that my hapless goofing around with installs is his inspiration.  As an example, I recently patched Essbase, APS, and Smart View to the .103 release and it took me three hours.  It should have taken three minutes.  The AMI name is ami-09b26360 ami-3173a358.

John fixed an issue with the FR print service (you can see it NOT running in the screenshot below).  Now it works.

I’m not going to go through the process of using AWS – I’ve done that already here.  Just use the new AMI to get to Planning, Essbase, Essbase Studio, FDM, Financial Reports, and Web Analysis.

Here are the data source settings in case you are an infrastructure dolt like me:



Here’s the Planning sample application in all of its glory:


And a list of the services:


Did you catch the 17 gigabytes?  I love AWS.  I am 99% sure my next laptop is going to be small, cheap, and light.  Or I may just never get rid of the 8 GB boat anchor (it does have a pretty screen) I have now.

So is it free?

Sure, the new ADF version of Oracle Support is free, so long as you are a paid up customer or partner.  

And oh yes, the AMI is free, so long as you don’t mind setting up an AWS account and paying a paltry $0.62/hour for a two CPU, 17 GB box.  

It’s as close to free as EPM gets.  Enjoy.

5 comments:

Dhiraj said...

Cameron,

It would be of great help, if you or John could explain the following two things.

[1] Once you shut down the instance, how do you start the same instance again ? I have tried multiple times and everytime, I try, I have to start the instance from the image.

[2] I do see that in EBS I have 100 Gb, but how do I start an instance using the EBS. As per my understanding, the EBS has the image of the machine.


Regards,
Dhiraj

Dhiraj said...

Cameron,

It would be of great help, if you could spell out the details on the following.

[1] How do you start an instance from the EBS Image ? At the moment I have to start the instance from the image everytime and not able to figure out how to start it, I am using the AMazon Spot server pricing (which is like 20 Cents an hour).

Regards,
Dhiraj

Dhiraj said...

cameron,

do you have instructions to install HFM on windows server 2008 R2 ?

Thanks,
Dhiraj

Cameron Lackpour said...

Dhiraj,

Sorry, the AMI does not include a copy of HFM. If you've read my blog posts, you'd know I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to installations.

I'm afraid this is a "learning opportunity".

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Cameron Lackpour said...

Dhiraj,

Sorry for not getting back to you on this:
How do you start an instance from the EBS Image ?

I am NOT using spot pricing, so I'm not sure how this changes, but I simply stop my instance when I'm done and then start it back up. Check out this link for a good explanation: http://shlomoswidler.com/2009/07/ec2-instance-life-cycle.html

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour